4.18.2008

April

Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why. Eddie Cantor (1892 - 1964)

Welcome to the mantra of my life at present. Work has become an all-consuming cumbersome existence. It erodes my time and sanity to such an extent that the days and weeks have begun to blur together and I stare in shock that it is the middle of April, however the calendar in my office is still displaying February.

Even now my phone is ringing as I type this.

Smart man that Mr. Cantor........smart man indeed.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um... but the bigger irony is that a lot of your posts express exactly this sentiment.

You're not taking your own advice young lady...

5:25 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Don't be logical - you know there is no place for such things ;)

Change is indeed coming about. The frustrating element about it is that like all things, it is coming about slowly. Painfully slowly some days.

The crux of the situation is that I have a job I truly enjoy, but I report to Satan's handmaiden. Her management style is taking from a schoolyard bully mentality and everyday becomes a guessing game as what to expect next.

I have begun looking into other opportunities and have put the call out to friends to keep their eyes and ears open for me as well if they hear of anything. I'm even contemplating if there are any opportunities internally that might allow me to make a lateral move and remain within the larger team and no longer report to her.

The bigger irony for me is that I always was (am) of the thought that the last high school dramatics I would ever have to endure ended the day I crossed the stage at convocation.

Stay tuned...

9:45 AM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

I agree with Ant. Live your life and be happy!!! Life is too short to being doing something that makes you sad.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Looks like you are an Okami of your word.

7:49 AM  
Blogger paul said...

errrr.... that reminds me. if we're going to schedule lunch, i'll have to make sure my calendar is on the right month. the one i see from my desk right now says september.

chin up.... i'm keeping an eye to the ground.

i'd say stop and smell the roses, but i bet you can't find anything under the two feet of snow.....

8:21 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

..and I agree with Ant and SSC.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

SSC: Isn't that true?

I find that for the first time in a very long time I'm having to re-evaluate what I want to be when I grow up.

It is an odd experience, but I'm really looking forward to it.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: At this rate - leave the calendar as is, and we'll book for lunch in September and we'll be up-to-date!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: ....so do I!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

And at other times life doesn't go by nearly quickly enough.

6:12 AM  
Blogger SMARTBuddy said...

Busy here for a while as well. No ringing phone though, and there is no relation of satan discovered (thus far at least). Hope it works out for you.

5:49 AM  
Blogger paul said...

you also miss your friends.....
(i'm a bit melancholy today.... sorry>)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Chris Benjamin said...

another smart man once sang (as he played banjo for accompaniment):

i quit my job
i quit my job
i quit my job
i'm free today

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Nice font!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Joe: Incredibly, that is true as well...

8:47 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

smartbuddy: thanks! strangly enough it did work out for me!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

messiah: I missed my friends, my family, my health and well-being, my sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, etc, etc.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

benji: that song now applies to me more than ever before.

i AM free.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

ultra: thanks!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You quit your job?

2:54 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ant: I am now a free agent!!!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You quit your job?

10:10 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ant:

I am completely free from the imprisonment that had become my work life! Done! Fin! Woot!

I have been indulging in the glory of sun-drenched patios and live concerts among other things in the ongoing reclamation of my once identifiable self. :)

Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome as to how to spend my new abundance of wonderous free time!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I say: Quit Your Job.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Chris Benjamin said...

I say: invite Ultra Toast Mosha God over. that guy's a barrel of monkeys, and he comes with his own sidekick!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I think I might be the sidekick. I'm not sure

3:50 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Ummm...hi. Now that you have free time maybe you can post.

Erm..either that or just enjoy life.

I vote for posting, though.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home