2.27.2008

Unapologetic

In the many moons of my blogging existence, I have been incredibly fortunate to meet some wonderful people through this means of communication. I treasure you all and look forward to many more posts to come.

Please know that the following is in no way, shape or form directed to any of you who I have come to know and adore. I can’t begin to thank you all for your tales of wonder and amusement. I ask only that you indulge me for a moment as I do this, and forgive me as I deviate slightly from my norm to address some disconcerting matters at hand.

********************************************

Criticism has become a way of life; people judge one another based on first impressions, long-term personal and professional relationships and the alleged compilation of similar or differing interests. We have all judged and have been judged by others. By people we know and people we don’t. By the situational perceptions of others based on truth, lies and clouded hybrids thereof. Our reactions vary considerably based on the person levelling the finger at us, the situation it is levelled in and the magnitude of the slight.

With each new blow our skin becomes a little thicker, our hearts a little darker. People begin to lash out at one another in fits of rage and wounded pride. Our perceptions of the world gradually become less impartial – no matter how neutral we perceive ourselves to be.

Due in large part to this increasing societal acceptance of judging others in the notable absence of justification, I have reached the point whereby I will no longer tolerate being slighted for living my life. Particularly by those of you lurking in the shadows of my writings and of my daily existence. No longer will your off-camera comments regarding my life be heard. Like a submissive in a ball-gag; you no longer have a voice.

I will not apologize for who I am.

I will not apologize for what I wear, eat, drink, read or watch.

I will not apologize for what I feel, believe, listen to or engage in.

I will not apologize for the way I dance, sing, sculpt or paint.

I will not apologize for who I like, love or loathe.

I will not apologize for the words I write or the thoughts I think.

I will not apologize for the interests I have or the hobbies I pursue.

I will not apologize for who my friends are or who I share my bed with.

I will not apologize for my body or the way in which I enjoy it.

I will not apologize for who I am.

Now if you mindless shells in question would kindly cease staring down at me from atop your rickety pedestals of misplaced superiority, I would very much appreciate it.

Should you choose not to accept these terms graciously, consider the gloves off.

15 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Unapology accepted.

Love ya babe.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You all heard her - the Asian hotbunny adores me. I'm so adorable. =)

People think everything I do is weird, like not wearing a coat in winter or preferring e-mail over the phone. I've just gotten used to being the outcast, and I'm fine with it. Here in Corporate America everyone is expected to be intensely normal, so maybe it's good that I don't fit in.

In closing - Satan.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: I'm sorry, but I've just grown tired of posting something that I enjoy only to have people here in the city comment to me "well I was reading your post the other day and here's what I think of you saying that / doing that / existing on the planet...."

Maybe it would just easier not having a blog anymore, but I enjoy reading about people I like and have come to know over time. They feel like an extension of my friends and family.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Grant: I can't help but wonder what on earth "intensely normal" might mean in your world...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

OMG I really loved this post. I think I needed to read this about a month ago. This is awesome thanks!!!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

SSC: Glad you like it - but it was hard for me to write it. These 4 people in my city I have known for a long time, and I need them to know that I love them, but that they need to let me live my life. I have a date tomorrow night and I'm hoping that they support me on it rather than to find 100 reasons for me not to go on it...

6:17 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Grant: Just so you know, I too don't wear jackets in winter and prefer email to phone. You can even ask Messiah on that.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

I think you should stand firm and go. I would thank them for their advice and I would leave it at that.

So many people are too busy telling others how to live their life, that they in turn forget how to live theirs.

Good luck tonight and let us know how it goes.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Mae West once said that it is better to be looked over than to be overlooked.

An excellent way to deal with naysayers - people who usually have such crippling dull lives of their own that interference in the affairs of others is the only light at the end of their dark, damp tunnel.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

So how did it go?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

SSC: It went well, despite the standard (and expected) first-date round of "20 questions" from him. At least this one didn't feel like a life interview though.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: That quote has now been added to my office wall to join the others - thanks!

I only hope that those people who have commented on my blog for all this time know that this is in no way directed to them.

Onto more uplifting stuff as soon as I can post it!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

One of the many things I hate about dating are handing out my resume sort of speak.

HI I am, and I am looking for,

I am glad it went well for you. Is there a round 2 in your future?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I couldn't agree more with what you said. Well put.

9:19 AM  
Blogger SMARTBuddy said...

Phew. Im glad im not one of the 4 - they got told! Im only able to write my blog because no one (well, very few) people i 'know' read it. It wouldnt work if I had people at work commenting on what id just written about them. If the 4 dont get the message- or even if they do- you could go undercover and not give them the chance to say anything. Maybe.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home