12.10.2007

15 Days and Counting



A quick glimpse of the calendar sees my weary eyes fall upon December 10. In seasonal disbelief, I make peace with the reality that the Merry Day of Christmas is 15 days and counting. Eep.

Without truly realizing it, I have flung myself from the galactic high dive platform (situated roughly between the Mir space station and the moon) and plunged head long into the glorious seasonal revelry. Craft shows, night shopping, country drives in the snow, indulgent treats that we only ever eat this time of year, more art shows, decorating the tree and the house, playing outside until noses are cold and legs are numb….

I finally hit me this weekend like a swift kick in the rump: I’m in full swing of my seasonal glory and had completely failed to realize it. The traditions that I have fostered and cultivated over the years are holding true for yet another year, even in the wake of a frantic work schedule and my present bout of the sniffles. Nothing sexier than a woman with deep, sultry sore throat now is there? Blah.

November brings a rapid succession of art and craft shows throughout the city and surrounding area; the chance to find something unique that cannot be found mass produced in the malls. One such event takes place outside of the city and every year I go in the evening. The sun has long since set for another day, and the inky blackness of the night is offset by the random stringing of Christmas lights. Fire pits roar and crackle as your breath creates smoky patterns in the chilled night air. The trees are dense on the borders of the property; so much so that the music wafting from the speakers struggles to penetrate them. Coffee with liquor and roasted chestnuts are on the menu and the floor of the largest building on the lot is covered in fresh wood chips; the earthy timber scent mingling with the fresh baking for sale.

A few hours in the crisp country air and I am ready to take on the holidays. A few weeks later and a mind-boggling NINE art and craft shows have been successfully conquered. As well as freshly baked Saskatoon berry butter tarts and piping hot mugs of a German (or Scandinavian) boozy beverage called Glukwine. Fabulous stuff, let me tell you – I am so thankful it is had only once a year though. I can only imagine the woeful state of the morning after too much of that heady brew.

The decorations are going up in stages as I have not been able to commit one full day to their completion. But every day gets them a little closer. The shopping is nearly complete except for my father (yet again). We all have one person who is impossible to buy for – for me – it’s him. Every. Year. I usually don’t have a struggle shopping for men, which in part is why I have never understood why they end up getting socks and underwear for presents, but c’est le vie.

But the father has always been difficult to shop for, and this year proves to be following the trend. But not to worry, it always sorts itself out in the end and he always seems to enjoy his gifts immensely.

The out-of-town packages are nearly ready to be sent, which means I am indulging in one of my all-time favourite Christmas endeavours – gift wrapping. I love gift wrapping. Love. It. In years past I have wrapped gifts for my friends who otherwise loathe the process themselves. I have even volunteered for charity gift wrapping outlets in the malls, and apparently still maintain the record for the only individual able to wrap a wetsuit without the aid of a box….or another person.

Hold tight for a second while I add that little gem to my resume will you?

Now there are still plenty of favourite restaurants to visit and numerous events to take in such as the Zoo Lights and the 12 days of Christmas at Heritage Park. One such event that has become a fast tradition is the annual charity Teddy Bear Toss. The minor hockey team is part of a league-wide challenge in which they ask all of their fans to bring a stuffed bear or animal with them to the game. When the home team scores their first goal, everyone is to throw their animals onto the ice. The plush critters are then gathered up and donated to a wide variety of charities throughout the year.

Last year: (toss)


From another angle:


I was sitting this close THIS year – but the other side of the arena:



This year: (post-toss)



All 26, 919 bears were sailing over my head at some point as I was seated in the first bowl of the arena, about 10 rows from the ice. I’m actually a little surprised that on the last YouTube link that I see can’t spot the shirt I was wearing when the camera pans to the far left. Pillow fluff can still pack a fierce wallop when launched from the vast unknown regions above onto the spectators below. Over 17,000 people were throwing fur at once – and for people seated in my section, for every one critter we would toss over the glass – another 80 would descend upon our heads in mere seconds to be carried forward on their journey to their icy resting spot.

Ah – tis’ the season. It took over half an hour to clear the ice, and the bears were still coming down.

The T.B.T. has become a perennial favourite not only for me, but for the thousands that attend every year. I even saw people who collected new bears on sale all year and came in with multiple clear garbage bags full of fluffy goodness.

A few glasses of draft, a plate of nachos the size of a small mountain and the chance to burn off both calories and stress by pitching things in a public forum…no one has every accused me of doing anything “traditional”, so why start now?

But it raises an interesting point. I have a voluminous cornucopia of holiday traditions that have become my own and that I share with my family. From the food I buy and serve, to the ornaments I hang on the tree – every single one of them telling a story. The Christmas morning traditions are ones that I have come to accept as second nature and that I am delighted to realize I could adapt and replicate anywhere.

What are your holiday traditions?

And in this festive season of giving and sharing…For every one of your favourite traditions shared – I will happily share another one of mine!




22 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

well... my holiday tradition in the netherlands is to have food poisoning on new years eve and spend it vomiting and trying to sleep in the attic above a house party that got noise complaints from the disco under it.

in past years it has been taking my vacation and getting out of town to avoid the family battle of who is hosing and when and why can't you be there?! (things are complicated with multiple parental locations, numerous siblings, and in-laws.)

the last two years it's been decorating the tree with help from the little guy, and this year we're adding zoo lights to the mix. snow angels today in the park.

i've worked myself to death right up to christmas, so i'm beginning to redefine. maybe this year brings something new, like health.

7:00 PM  
Blogger paul said...

(should have been worked myself to death right up to christmas the last 5 years....)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, cute. :-) The teddy bear toss looks surreal but fun - must ruin the game something chronic...

I've striven to break most of my christmas traditions and have been largely successful - spending it in Oz on a beach helps, but there are a variety of parties back home that I'm expected to attend and which I hate with a vengeance (attended as they are by the traditional assholes). I haven't even put a tree up for the past couple of years figuring that I wouldn't be around enough to enjoy it.

There are some constants though - Bond movies, a chocolate advent calendar and spending my birthday like it's the holiest of holy sabbath days (my rules, relaxation only, the world be damned...)

1:48 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: Oh Man - when on earth was the last time I made a snow angel?!?

Yeesh - I think I was still in grade school. Of course now I have a HUGE urge to find a patch of pristine untouched powder and make the most phenomenal snow angel.

And may the new year bring you more than just good health my dear friend - peace of mind and restoration of soul.

Hmm - now I did say that I would match your favourite tradition with another one of my own (I will accept your preferred submission to be decorating the tree with the little guy) so here goes:

Every year since my aunt passed away, my mother and I buy an angel ornament to hang on the tree. I'm not even sure when we realized we were doing it. We just....do. We now have a tree of angels from all over the globe and every year we add another. Secretly it is one of my favourite things to do every year to honour her memory.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: (should have been a well-placed lump of coal in your superior’s nether regions)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

The teddy bear toss sound like it would make for some fantastic photography - all those bears flying over head like a squadron of furry fighter-bombers.

My traditions usually involve plenty of ale at the local alehouse, then waking with a hangover on xmas morning.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Princess Pointful said...

Mine involves hunting down a Christmas tree with my dad when I arrived back in my small town. We will usually get a permit from the city to chop a tree below the power lines that's going to be cut down anyways- although sometimes we bluff about said permit's existence. I strap on the Sorel's and head into massive snowbanks along random side of the road. Many an anecdote worthy tale has sprung from our tree-hunting escapades, actually...

10:01 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ant: Strangely enough – the toss actually pumps the team up – after everything was picked up they clobbered the visiting team something fierce. I would gladly set traditions aside (with exception of the angel ornament) to spend at least one Christmas on the beach in Oz. Albeit, it does sound more like you strove to break the Christmas traditions of others and forge your own. Ahh – traditional assholes….lovely – see my aforementioned comment. ;)

Is your birthday actually on Christmas or just so close to it that you got “grouped in with it”? I love the idea of “spending my birthday like it's the holiest of holy sabbath days” now THAT sounds fabulous! I haven’t celebrated my birthday in years, via party or otherwise, and should follow your lead on that one. With the exception being “Instead I'm going to have some massage therapy (maybe with some optional extras - nothing like celebrating the passing years with a handjob from a beautiful stranger... :-)”*

*courtesy of your comment on PP’s post :-)

My next Christmas confession:

If I am in a relationship during the holidays, I have always ensured that there are “family-friendly” gifts that he can open with friends and family, and gifts that are not, which are meant for his eyes only.

7:20 AM  
Blogger eric1313 said...

I hope you have as much success buying for your father as you have on years past. Family is tough. We want them to love a gift, as they reflect how we feel about them.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

4:52 PM  
Blogger paul said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Best of the season dear.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I went to a New York Rangers game and started tossing things on the ice after the first goal. I quickly learned that apparently we don't have that tradition here.

I have my court hearing in a few weeks. Can you send me a teddy bear for good luck?

1:59 PM  
Blogger eric1313 said...

If I threw anything on the ice that was not either a hat or has eight legs and is slimier than most obvious expletives, they'd toss me out of my beloved hockey arena.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: The photography would be great – provided that one could find a safe bunker in which to be able to take a photo without risking life and limb from the ensuing bombardment of said furry fighter-bombers.

I noticed that nearly all of the phone videos that I linked to weren’t exempt from the pelting either. The volume of bears that come cascading down is shocking – they litter the floor, the seats and the aisles. They bounce off literally every surface of your anatomy – a justifiable logic as to why many of the men do not turn completely around. Even women aren’t safe as a well-aimed bear can give a new working definition to our ‘bouncy bits’. One gentleman a few rows in front of me was literally goosed by a flying fluffy mammal. He thought better of leaning forward to retrieve critters from the floor after that.

A Christmas morning hangover? That is truly a gift we give ourselves…and experience over and over and over again. At least you have company to partake in the holiday festivities, frivolities and ensuing afflictions. Somehow having accomplices lessens the suffering somewhat in the light of dawn.

Christmas confession #3:

Whenever possible (a.k.a. when I am not ridiculously sick with a cold), I wait until the twilight hours between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and then bundle up in whatever clothing is readily at hand and sit quietly in the backyard of my parent’s house, listening to the stillness of the world. It is the only time of the year when nothing moves, nothing makes a sound – and the world is as quiet as it could ever be.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Princess: For years we have always had a real tree – and then we experienced a series on unfortunate events that led us to accepting an artificial tree as part of our new family traditions.

I was the last die-hard advocate in the house for the real tree, yet strangely I have come to enjoy them more in the forests than in my living room.

Christmas confession #4:
On the same earth-saving thread of conversational confession, we stopped using gift wrap at about the same time – we now gift bag everything for one another. It works great – even if it is 3:00 a.m. Christmas morning or if you have had a little too much Christmas spirit(s) in the hours preceding Christmas morn…**

*Ultra – I’m looking at you here…

:)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Are you?

I'm drunk, so I don't see very well.

I can't see you between the keys.

My face hurts.

Now I have a paperclip in my eye

10:20 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Eric: Thank you for the well wishes regarding my gifting quests. Everything turned out nicely in the end, but we have just found that so much of it is over-commercialized that the joy of spending time together is almost diminished by it.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: Back at ya!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Joe: Oh my - I can't imagine why New Yorkers might get nervous when things are being thrown at them...

Hope the trial goes well, but I'll try to send the bear by any means other than "air-mail". :P

Good Luck!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Eric: Yeah.....I've seen a few clips of that particular tradition and there is something really rather disturbing about it.

How exactly did that start anyway?

8:23 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: Ha! That should be printed off and added to my office wall along with Doug's mantra!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Benjamin said...

just a hello and a happy 08!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Benji: Hello there my friend! A very happy 2008 to you and yours as well!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home