We Didn't Start the Fire....
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it...
Now this little gem is stuck in your head, to be hummed out in broken serenade for the remainder of the week at the most inconvenient of times. Like right before you fall asleep, or seconds after you wake up. Or in the shower or in that insufferably boring conference call or staff meeting…
Perhaps you would enjoy the ballad of “Piano Man”
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright
Why am I doing this to you?
Because I’m going to the Billy Joel concert for free tonight.
And if I’m going to have these lyrics stuck in my head for the rest of the week….I’m dragging all of you along for the ride….
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it...
Now this little gem is stuck in your head, to be hummed out in broken serenade for the remainder of the week at the most inconvenient of times. Like right before you fall asleep, or seconds after you wake up. Or in the shower or in that insufferably boring conference call or staff meeting…
Perhaps you would enjoy the ballad of “Piano Man”
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright
Why am I doing this to you?
Because I’m going to the Billy Joel concert for free tonight.
And if I’m going to have these lyrics stuck in my head for the rest of the week….I’m dragging all of you along for the ride….
26 Comments:
Cruel, cruel Okami!
That's ok. I've got YouTube and Jonathan Coulton to combat the Billy Joel onslaught!
Doug: Oh come now - I'm not cruel at all - they aren't MY lyrics now are they?!?!
You're just sharing the misery! The vile, fetid, disgusting misery of having any lyrics stuck in one's head! I reiterate: you are a cruel mistress!
Oh, yeah: Enjoy the concert! What fun!
That is one of the most infectious lyrics ever...
How about...
Always look on the bright side of life...
Or are you unfamiliar with Monty Python?
"It's a... nice day... for a white wedding! EEeeeeeeeeeeeeyaaahhh!"
Oh no, hang on...
amazing how fast a little elton john just smacks those out of your head.
Anyone who can rhyme 'Ben Hur' with 'Space Monkey Mafia' gets my vote.
In the small town I grew up in, our radio station choices were somewhat limited.
So I woke up to soft rock every morning, and began tallying who was the artist I woke up to most often.
I believe Elton John, Rod Stewart, and Phil Collins were tied for first... but I'm sure Mr. Joel must be up there.
ah how i loved billy joel during the 'uptown girl' years.
Doug: Hmmmm.....valid. However you did mention that you could effectively combat "lyrics-in-the-head" syndrome via YouTube, so truly your argument is a bit of a moot point is it not my good man?
Doug: I did indeed enjoy the concert a great deal - thanks!
The fact that it was free was the icing on the proverbial cupcake.
Eric: A life without M.P. is not much of a life at all now is it?
Ant: Ha! Wrong Billy my friend, but as the good man Idol does also say - "it's a nice day...to start again"
:)
Messiah: I guess that would depend on if you are actually listening to his music or just hitting yourself repeatedly with the cd...
Ultra: How could they not, really?
Princess: I find that he can be a sly and sneaky artist, particularly when we forget what all he wrote and recorded until he started playing it - and the audience has a collective..."oh....yeah!....I forgot he sang this one!" moment.
Benji: Ahh yes - another classic that will get stuck in your head for days on end. :)
Hmmm - you did that on purpose didn't you?
Also, Piano man is one of my guiltiest pleasures.
That, and robbing the poor.
Ultra: My brother and I have a guilty pleasure that neither of us knew the other had until about a year ago: watching Waterworld.
That's sick, Doug.
You need to go and see someone about that.
Seriously...
Truly, it is not.
And as soon as I turned back to this page, that long rambling chorus overpowered everything else I was thinking.
Ultra: Given that every single person knew the song and sang along to the point we nearly drowned him out, I think many of us have that as a secret pleasure whether we know it (or willingly admit it) or not.
Every.
Single.
Person.
Doug: ...really?
huh...
wow...
that's...
um...
something...
Ultra: Yeah Doug, I'm sorry my friend, but I'm with Ultra on this one. :(
The only other movie that I found more painful to sit through was "The Postman".
*shudder* - or a double-billing of both. Gah.
Eric: Splendid! Glad I could help!
Post a Comment
<< Home