8.07.2007

It’s The Deep Breath Before The Plunge (part two)

So I have resurfaced from the relaxing depths of the briefest of vacations, somewhat refreshed and feeling far better than when I left. I say somewhat in that only one week isn’t quite enough time to truly unplug from the grid. Rather, it is just enough where you can go an entire day without thinking about work right before you return to it.

But I digress.

It was lovely.

A few days rest in the stunning warm sunshine and blue skies of summer – sitting in the backyard listening to the birds sing and a neighbour a few houses down curse out a string of profanity that I think spanned no fewer than three languages, four if you count gibberish as a language.

Ahhh….the soulful musings of crazy people.

His lung capacity was quite impressive with respect that he had obviously just hurt himself considerably on something.

But I made a point of the week being full of wonderful food and tremendous wine. I truly forgot how much I love to cook. I would never want to be a professional cook for a living, but I love creating new things and enjoying good food with good company. There was lots of laughter, lots of walking, lots of writing, lots of shopping and lots of insanely sarcastic good times.

It’s odd that work can intrude upon so many aspects of one life when one is not paying attention. I, sadly, had been among the ones not paying attention.

But now…oohhh baby – talk about eyes wide open. No more of these insane work hours for me – no more taking work home and hammering away at it until one or two in the morning. No more letting the petty people I am forced to work with wear me down.

Why?

Because give them enough rope, and they will figure it out for themselves.

I realize that not everything is going to fall into place like puzzle pieces, but that is what makes puzzles fun. It will take some time, and some days will be like pushing string uphill, but I hope you will all be excited for me as I just drew a monumental line in the sand for my life and some of the things I want from it.

And you illustrious souls get to come along for the ride if you are interested.

In the meantime, I did agree to tell the Captain about one of my more interesting destinations so I intend to honour that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

Congratulations! Ah the line drawn in the sand. A wonderful way to enforce boundaries and borders. Borders, of course, being a wonderful way to lay out territories and determine if/when someone has transgressed against you in such a way that would constitute an act of war. Should anyone ever cross the line, be sure to press the attack and do not give up your seige until they are dead.

Have fun!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I think Doug is a prime candidate for a place on the Captain's away team.

Sounds like a pretty sweet week off.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds highly refreshing!

3:21 AM  
Blogger Captain Berk said...

Do remember to scrub out anyone else's line before you draw yours.

That way, there is no argument about whose line is whose, anyway.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Doug: Not to worry about my battle plan - I have plenty of coffee brewing, my colleagues have now replaced all of their previously destroyed electronics, and I am just biding my time until they are all out of the office again.

Ultra: It was a badly needed break and I loved every second of it - particulary those moments where I had no where to go and all day to get there.

Ant: In a number of ways!

Captain: Why would I sacrifice my precious energy scrubbing out someone else's line? They should only be so lucky to have my line intersect with theirs.
Wait – that sounded vulgar.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Okay - my apologies one and all, my plan was to post new content today and I just didn't have the opportunity to at work. So I will make up for it next week with lots of posting goodness!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

5:06 PM  
Blogger paul said...

i'm thinking of digging a trench and running some razor wire over top. it's similar to your line - but my last line was in the sand.

it worked great. right up until 'high tide'. been looking for it ever since.

5:19 PM  
Blogger paul said...

argh. i'm such an asshole. and i'm sorry. this is not about me - this is about you.

good move. great approach of attack. (note how i did not use the word choice.....) draw that line. and stand by it. not easy, but necessity.

see you tuesday.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: Yeah - water tends to have that effect.

Perhaps YOUR line at work needs to be drawn a little harder next time.

Let me know if you need to borrow some heavy equipment - the construction crew across the street from my office would probably be happy to help out!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Messiah: Um...okay? I don't know you to usually walk around calling yourself such things...particulary in an electronic format - hopeful whatever has given you the blues lately changes for the better in a hurry.

But on the flip side - thanks! I'm just surprised that I let work actually invade that much of my life and consume so much of my time, energy and well-being before I realized what was happening.

"not easy, but necessity." Couldn't have put it better myself.

Lunch on Tuesday it is - and I hope by then you are feeling better!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home