It’s The Deep Breath Before The Plunge (part one)
So much news to tell, hard to put it all together into one concise synopsis.
There are tales of travel, and of reflection.
Of betrayal and growth and of one personal life chapter closing while struggling to flip the next page forward.
Of new opportunities and possibilities.
And a Brazilian.
So I promise that I did not forget about my lingering post from June 7 – in fact, I only recently decided (approximately 37 minutes ago) while savoring the first heavenly sips of my morning coffee to fulfill my posting obligation. That and I should likely capture these thoughts somewhere in order to have any attempt of a productive day at work. Trust me, I assure you that with the present workload volume I have, to say that any day is truly productive could be deemed an oxymoron.
So to start off with, let me take a moment to dispel some of the commentary my dedicated and dear readers left upon this original entry:
1) The Brazilian was not, I repeat not, a wax. Joe – I’m sorry to inform you of this tragedy.
2) Ant was correct in that I did indeed meet a Brazilian, but not Gisele or *shudder* Ronaldo.
3) As Messiah suggested, the beginning is likely the best place to start.
4) Doug, as I mentioned in the comment section at the time, I am delighted by the following comment you made: “it started to sound like a fascinating tale. One that I likely never would have heard before…”. And I intend to honour that as many of the things that take place in my world and in my mind many people have never heard of before.
So one last pre-plunge check before delving beneath the depths of my personal existence:
Does everyone have their safety buddy picked out? Good good.
And you all have a suitable beverage of preference in hand? Splendid.
Let’s begin.
My tales of travel reflect my love of being on the open road. I have a long-held the belief that I must be descended from gypsies or nomads as I live to travel. I love the exploration of the open road and of different cultures, particularly when I have someone to share them with. That, of course, is a bit of a double-edged sword, particularly if the other person does not like to travel (there is an epic tale rolling around in that one somewhere). As I am currently in the midst of pursuing a few different options in life right now, all of them wonderful, the vast majority of my finances are currently being utilized in many of those endeavours. As a result, I have had to limit my travel to more local surroundings.
Work has allowed me some marginal freedom in this realm; Vancouver, Montréal, Edmonton, Toronto, – none of them terribly appealing when work is the lone function for which I am handed a plane ticket. The only time I am granted to myself or to explore my surroundings is the few nocturnal hours between returning to my room from the lengthy team dinner hours earlier, and the wee hours of the morning awaking from my peaceful slumber to venture forth yet again on a less-than-stimulating day of planning sessions and/or golf tournaments.
Oh how I loathe those golf tournaments…well, in all fairness I had some wonderful experiences – but some days it is a struggle to remember only the highlights and dispel the unpleasant elements.
Perhaps in the near future I will share my tales of adventure on the matter.
However it was on what of these more recent trips that I met the aforementioned Brazilian – a man who happened to be sitting on the plane next to me. We chatted off and on over the course of the flight and still keep it touch periodically as time and job scheduling permits. (see Doug – not what you expected now was it?) It is not a romantic relationship, but a pleasant one in which I have the opportunity to meet yet another fascinating individual such as yourselves (only I actually met him in person – and yes, I’m working on that too)
And no one would believe what he does for a living. (No, he is not a member, current or former, of Menuedo so don’t ask)
My own travels have taken me to every corner of the province, and I miss my time on the highway. The open road allows me the chance to clear my head and escapes from the day-to-day existence of life.
It gives my soul the chance to heal and regenerate and feel again.
I have had a great many issues and upheavals to contend with of late, both personal and professional, but that wouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone here as we all have a myriad of life events to grapple with. In fact, my problems are likely inconsequential when compared to those of my dear readers, but I thank you all for indulging me with mine just the same. Leaving the city just seems to help me put life back into priority. It gives me the chance to step back from the things in life that are piling up, or taking up far too much time and energy of my mental brainwave capacity.
It gives me the chance to breathe.
And I was beginning to feel as though I had been holding my breath for a very long time.
Too long.
So I inhaled – and it felt like heaven.
There are tales of travel, and of reflection.
Of betrayal and growth and of one personal life chapter closing while struggling to flip the next page forward.
Of new opportunities and possibilities.
And a Brazilian.
So I promise that I did not forget about my lingering post from June 7 – in fact, I only recently decided (approximately 37 minutes ago) while savoring the first heavenly sips of my morning coffee to fulfill my posting obligation. That and I should likely capture these thoughts somewhere in order to have any attempt of a productive day at work. Trust me, I assure you that with the present workload volume I have, to say that any day is truly productive could be deemed an oxymoron.
So to start off with, let me take a moment to dispel some of the commentary my dedicated and dear readers left upon this original entry:
1) The Brazilian was not, I repeat not, a wax. Joe – I’m sorry to inform you of this tragedy.
2) Ant was correct in that I did indeed meet a Brazilian, but not Gisele or *shudder* Ronaldo.
3) As Messiah suggested, the beginning is likely the best place to start.
4) Doug, as I mentioned in the comment section at the time, I am delighted by the following comment you made: “it started to sound like a fascinating tale. One that I likely never would have heard before…”. And I intend to honour that as many of the things that take place in my world and in my mind many people have never heard of before.
So one last pre-plunge check before delving beneath the depths of my personal existence:
Does everyone have their safety buddy picked out? Good good.
And you all have a suitable beverage of preference in hand? Splendid.
Let’s begin.
My tales of travel reflect my love of being on the open road. I have a long-held the belief that I must be descended from gypsies or nomads as I live to travel. I love the exploration of the open road and of different cultures, particularly when I have someone to share them with. That, of course, is a bit of a double-edged sword, particularly if the other person does not like to travel (there is an epic tale rolling around in that one somewhere). As I am currently in the midst of pursuing a few different options in life right now, all of them wonderful, the vast majority of my finances are currently being utilized in many of those endeavours. As a result, I have had to limit my travel to more local surroundings.
Work has allowed me some marginal freedom in this realm; Vancouver, Montréal, Edmonton, Toronto, – none of them terribly appealing when work is the lone function for which I am handed a plane ticket. The only time I am granted to myself or to explore my surroundings is the few nocturnal hours between returning to my room from the lengthy team dinner hours earlier, and the wee hours of the morning awaking from my peaceful slumber to venture forth yet again on a less-than-stimulating day of planning sessions and/or golf tournaments.
Oh how I loathe those golf tournaments…well, in all fairness I had some wonderful experiences – but some days it is a struggle to remember only the highlights and dispel the unpleasant elements.
Perhaps in the near future I will share my tales of adventure on the matter.
However it was on what of these more recent trips that I met the aforementioned Brazilian – a man who happened to be sitting on the plane next to me. We chatted off and on over the course of the flight and still keep it touch periodically as time and job scheduling permits. (see Doug – not what you expected now was it?) It is not a romantic relationship, but a pleasant one in which I have the opportunity to meet yet another fascinating individual such as yourselves (only I actually met him in person – and yes, I’m working on that too)
And no one would believe what he does for a living. (No, he is not a member, current or former, of Menuedo so don’t ask)
My own travels have taken me to every corner of the province, and I miss my time on the highway. The open road allows me the chance to clear my head and escapes from the day-to-day existence of life.
It gives my soul the chance to heal and regenerate and feel again.
I have had a great many issues and upheavals to contend with of late, both personal and professional, but that wouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone here as we all have a myriad of life events to grapple with. In fact, my problems are likely inconsequential when compared to those of my dear readers, but I thank you all for indulging me with mine just the same. Leaving the city just seems to help me put life back into priority. It gives me the chance to step back from the things in life that are piling up, or taking up far too much time and energy of my mental brainwave capacity.
It gives me the chance to breathe.
And I was beginning to feel as though I had been holding my breath for a very long time.
Too long.
So I inhaled – and it felt like heaven.
27 Comments:
I totally expected you to have a non-romantic simple chat with your Brazilian! That's how I meet all of my Brazilians!
Good girl - now don't forget to breathe out again, lest you go purple and 'splode all over the place...
So what's the deal? You meeting this Brazilian dude again and that's the reason for your travelling?
Is he a Capoiera master?
I hate golf too. Hate. It.
I love those chance encounters where you connect with someone - in whatever way. Makes me feel more human when that happens.
As for leaving the city, I have two quotations:
"It broke my heart to leave the city, I mean it broke the part that wasn't broken in there already." -Magnolia Electric Co.
"I left home, to get out of the city. I found out, the city was my home." -Skydiggers
Doug: Alright then - part one may not be "fascinating" by your standards, but at least it's a story that you hadn't heard before!
I'm halfway there aren't I?
So what would it need to warrant Doug-worthy fascination?
Ant: But I’ve been told purple is a good colour on me. Alas – you’re likely right. I’ve never been much for ‘sploding - except in movies...
Not those movies...action movies...
No, not those kind of action movies – the ones where vehicles and buildings get blown up.
I’m not meeting the “Brazilian dude” anytime soon, and my reason for travelling is just to relax and enjoy life just that little bit more. The more I hang around this online den of inequity, the longer the list of people I come to enjoy and will likely cross paths with.
I have absolutely no idea if he is, but I can always send him an email and ask if you are truly curious to know.
Well, what went on with the Brazilian was rather commonplace. However, it occurred on an airplane! I love airplanes! Please don't misunderstand my last statement. I'm fascinated. You've definitely grabbed me.
see the new movie... brazilians on a plane. be the first to hear samuel l. jackson say "motherf*cking brazilians on a motherf*cking plane".
he's a bikini waxer, isn't he.
damn you, leaving me hanging in suspense like that.
open road... i know what you mean. there's nothing like spending the day on the open road without a necessary destination or timetable....
oh how i miss those days.
the only brazilian i know is now living in the jungles of mexico. if you think that's odd, wait till you find out what the official language of brazil is.
Benji: I love those encounters too – for the same reason. I have fortunately enough as of late as it has been happening more frequently, and it has been wonderful.
Not to mention receiving quite possibly the most striking compliment the other day from another chance encounter.
As for your quotes – they are certainly poignant, but there is still a part of me that longs to escape and break free of the concrete. I have to find that balance. Not that long ago I posed the following question on this very blog:
“What is one to do when their hometown feels less and less like home?”
Leave it. That's what I did. Now, many years later, I'm going back, olderwiser and all that. And it will seem smaller, and I like that.
So I've tagged you with creative/thoughtful blogger award, in particularly for your ingenius 20 questions feature. Feel free to ignore, but it's just my way to say, 'great blog'.
Doug: I find airplanes facinating too - but my interest tends to be in WWII planes and bombers. The flight I mentioned was a little more unique in that both he and I were in the jump seat - and when you are the only two individuals in that situation, you can't help but strike up a conversation :)
Doug: sorry about the typo - a BlackBerry doesn't really lend itself to accuracy.
Is he a 'cleaner'?
What's the most interesting place you have travelled to?
Why?
Were there any pleasantly coloured alien females there?
Messiah: I don't know what options Mr. S.L. Jackson selects to keep himself smooth and hair-free.
And I think I'm okay with never finding out...
Benji: the irony of my comment regarding my hometown no longer feeling like home is that I'm not sure which direction to embark upon in search of a location that would. I think I should just start by rekindling my relationship with my hometown again - explore all the new changes and wander down the lanes of my childhood memories. That seems as good a place as any to start.
Benji: thank you - that is very thoughtful of you, and incredibly kind to bestow such a recognition upon my blog. I'm just honoured that I have such wonderful people reading it.
Ultra: *gasp* I never thought of that!
And I do have that list of...um... "chores" that could some "cleaning".
Yes - chores - that will do nicely.
Captain: define interesting... :)
I'm going to go into left field and suggest that he is a vacuum repairman who splits his time between Rio and Edmonton (he likes the contrast).
I understand your sentiments about leaving, too. I think I feel more clearheaded and centred when I am "me" in different surroundings. I'm already overwhelmed by the ridiculousness of day-to-day life, and I have only been back since Saturday.
Wilfully ambiguous as usual.
Answer me, human female!
Princess: Ha! Lovely guess, but fortunately for me you're not even close. I can't imagine trying to have a conversation with a man whose opening sales pitch likely incorporates the word "suck"!
And thank-you for letting me know that I'm not alone in my feelings regarding my hometown. Your phrasing captures my current feelings remarkably well.
Captain: ......you engage foreign species with that mouth?!?!
Asking a question is not ambiguous in the slightest, and I would thank you to address me properly in the future lest I annihilate your interplanetary probe with the first phaser I can commandeer.
Captain: I assure you that I have a proper reply to your query; however only being able to type on a blackberry takes an insufferably long time. When I am back in the office next week I will post one of my many interesting destinations for you.
In the meantime, why don't you just sit back and relax - perhaps have a tall, refreshing glass of milk?
Berk will drink the milk as long as it is regular milk
Ultra: define regular... :)
Ha! Couldn't resist!
Besides - I hear the Captain isn't terribly particular when it comes to his beverages - the copious amounts of blood wine he consumes speak for themselves.
Full fat, so to speak.
Ultra:
Eww.
So to speak.
Post a Comment
<< Home