Apathy is as Apathy does
Currently my portfolio of roles at work has quadrupled in as many months. It has me pulled in more directions than is mathematically comprehensible and I went home last night utterly spent.
So today, I could have done the same.
I could have come to work, grabbed a coffee and pound through any volume of tasks, deadlines, oddities and irregularities of my job only to feel exhausted upon returning home.
Instead, I came to work and went for a lovely breakfast with a friend. We engaged in delightfully insightful banter on a number of things going on in each others lives over a tremendous meal. Grabbed a coffee, checked my email. Answered a few phone calls. Then invited a couple co-workers to a sushi lunch, which extended into a 90 minute festival of laughter and tales of comedic horror while they went toe-to-toe with wasabi roulette. Returned to answer a few more emails, return a few more phone calls and post a few comments on a few blogs. Went for coffee and a walk in the sunshine with a friend from a different department. Now posting this little play-by-play for the amusement of others.
Note to self – no job is worth sacrificing your health and well-being for. No amount of money or recognition is acceptable for living in a nightmare.
I had momentarily lost sight of that.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
So today, I could have done the same.
I could have come to work, grabbed a coffee and pound through any volume of tasks, deadlines, oddities and irregularities of my job only to feel exhausted upon returning home.
Instead, I came to work and went for a lovely breakfast with a friend. We engaged in delightfully insightful banter on a number of things going on in each others lives over a tremendous meal. Grabbed a coffee, checked my email. Answered a few phone calls. Then invited a couple co-workers to a sushi lunch, which extended into a 90 minute festival of laughter and tales of comedic horror while they went toe-to-toe with wasabi roulette. Returned to answer a few more emails, return a few more phone calls and post a few comments on a few blogs. Went for coffee and a walk in the sunshine with a friend from a different department. Now posting this little play-by-play for the amusement of others.
Note to self – no job is worth sacrificing your health and well-being for. No amount of money or recognition is acceptable for living in a nightmare.
I had momentarily lost sight of that.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

9 Comments:
I couldn't have put it better myself.
No job is worth that.
Not even 'Head of Shoes' at Mahlano
And your productivity will of course triple now that you've had this well-earned time-out...
Employers would do well to remember that now and then too.
An outstanding day topped off with a wonderful realization. It doesn't get any better than that.
Unless, of course, you're running naked through he halls and pouring coffee on people's keyboards.
an excellent reminder. unfortunately i spent most of my day in a 5 hour nightmare.
but i did leave on time :)
joe: I'll assume you're not directing that at me?
Ultra - Couldn't agree more. I would happily reside myself to "Blissful Consumer" over "Head of Shoes"
Ant - Now, now - don't be logical. It is only throught brutish slave-driving practices that our individual productivity triples...right?...um...right?
Joe - Very true, the skirt was a tad binding today, but my co-workers have still not replaced all of their previously destroyed electronics. I choose to bide my time until such point where caffeine-laden revelry sans apparel can once again consume me.
Messiah - Why do that to yourself? And why choose that day of all days to leave on time; thereby causing a small portion of hell to freeze over?
i love you. you're the best.
(the package showed up :)
how'd you know i needed that?
I am sorry for the delay, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I haven't seen you in all too long!
Messiah: Glad to hear the sugar-laden confectionaries arrived safe and sound. :)
Lmizzle: Thanks for the birthday wishes! Let me know when you’re free and we’ll catch up!
Questions are up m'deer - go get... :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home