Chaos and Customer Service
So the holiday planning is slowly taking shape, and I’m able to cross off a few things from my list. One of my friends came in from out of town and we had a chance to catch up on a good deal of mindless nonsense and frivolity. Lovely. That little snippet of relaxation then launched me into attacking the decorating deficit in my home and it is now slowly looking somewhat presentable for the holidays. Granted, it’s not as nice as Lauren and Steve’s living room, but I’m working on it.
Best customer service line ever:
Customer: “….well basically I want a card that says ‘Sorry your kids discovered Jesus’…” (Followed by howls of laughter as she found this remarkably funny in her own mind)
Salesgirl: “oh…okay…perhaps we can start with the blank cards. If you’d like to follow me…”
If there was ever an award for thinking on your feet in the face of insanity – this salesgirl would claim the world title hands-down. It was spectacular – she didn’t even change the tone of her voice.
So I’ve set a deadline for myself that everything is to be done for Christmas by no later than Wednesday night. Of course, my office is going out for a round of drinks now on Wednesday night, so you can well imagine that I don’t feel like attempt to shop / cook / decorate upon returning home. I would rather relax, have a hot bath and let Christmas come to me. Let’s see, that means that I have a huge amount of food shopping to do, still have to put up the tree…assemble a new kitchen table and chair set (bit of a story to that one)…gift bag the last of the gifts, and buy the last elusive gift for my mother that is proving itself to be a logistical nightmare.
That’s not really realistic for a 72-hour period while still at work is it?
Okay then – Thursday night?
Best customer service line ever:
Customer: “….well basically I want a card that says ‘Sorry your kids discovered Jesus’…” (Followed by howls of laughter as she found this remarkably funny in her own mind)
Salesgirl: “oh…okay…perhaps we can start with the blank cards. If you’d like to follow me…”
If there was ever an award for thinking on your feet in the face of insanity – this salesgirl would claim the world title hands-down. It was spectacular – she didn’t even change the tone of her voice.
So I’ve set a deadline for myself that everything is to be done for Christmas by no later than Wednesday night. Of course, my office is going out for a round of drinks now on Wednesday night, so you can well imagine that I don’t feel like attempt to shop / cook / decorate upon returning home. I would rather relax, have a hot bath and let Christmas come to me. Let’s see, that means that I have a huge amount of food shopping to do, still have to put up the tree…assemble a new kitchen table and chair set (bit of a story to that one)…gift bag the last of the gifts, and buy the last elusive gift for my mother that is proving itself to be a logistical nightmare.
That’s not really realistic for a 72-hour period while still at work is it?
Okay then – Thursday night?
4 Comments:
Congratulations to her! I have no idea what I would have said in that situation. (Since I don't do customer service anymore, it would probably be something like "... You're an idiot.")
Last year December 23rd overshot black Friday as the biggest shopping day of the year. Just make sure you beat the crowd by shopping on the 22nd at the latest!
Ah, but that's the beauty of the internet, isn't it? You can complete much of your shopping in the time it would take to...um...blog.
Well done on the clerk's part. There's a kind of haughty arrogance amongst atheists that I always find a little off-putting. Kudos to her for thinking on her feet.
I just hope she got her kudos shots.
you could always give the warm fuzzy thoughtful gift of 'gift certificates' like my brother.
not only does it say how much you think of those you shopped for, but you can do it all at one counter, in one transaction. whether they shop there or not.
erm... no, i'm not bitter, why do you ask?
I want that card.
Brilliant!
Merry Xmas!
Post a Comment
<< Home