12.15.2006

10 Days and Counting…

So I slowly resume my role in the landing of the living and pseudo-healthy, I am struck with the shock and awe that we only have ten days until Christmas day. Eep. I had wanted to be done so much more by now, however being sidelined for two weeks with the cold to end all colds put a real kink in that plan. I’m nearly done my shopping, save for one more elusive gift for my mother…but nothing else is done. No decorating, no wrapping, none of the events and traditions that I love taking parts in with my friends and family.

I would have thought that this year’s festivities would have been wonderful – for the first time in eight years I don’t have final exams before the holidays! Eight years! In years past I have had exams right up to the 22nd and 23rd, and have found myself decorating the Christmas tree late on Christmas Eve – one year until 1:00 a.m. Christmas Day! This Christmas was supposed to be filled with seeing my friends on a social level as opposed to an academic one; not cramming for exams and final papers. This was to be relaxing and enjoyable, going for drinks with colleagues from work, taking in the office Christmas party and making trips out of town to see my friends that I rarely get to talk to let alone see in person.

Between the chest cold and being by myself in the office for (approaching) two weeks, I think I’m missing my Christmas spirit. (No sooner did I type this line, and my manager just called to say that she’s decided to take a vacation day today and she’s not coming in) I just don’t have the excitement or captivation for it this year….not yet anyway. I’d like to think that my Christmas spirit will kick in any moment now to spur me into action. I’ve opted out of the Christmas party this year on the basis that the last day for buying tickets was a day where I felt fall-down sick, so I hated to waste the money on something that I may not have had the chance to attend due to health…or lack thereof. Pity.

Although reading Lauren’s tale of decorating her tree and her description of how it looks all lit up in her house went a long way to helping to get me started. Or at least inspire me to WANT to get started. That seems a little more accurate. I envisioned my place being decorated the way I had promised myself it should be since I would have this “time” to do it – even go so far as to put up lights outside this year, which I haven’t had time to do in the last…what…three years now? I’ve loved my tree in years past, with the lights shining through the glass ornaments and making the whole room warm and inviting. How the glimmer of silver and copper and gold mingle with the treasured ornaments we’ve collected over the years. To carefully unpack and hang ornaments I received from family members now gone but never forgotten, and to recall the traditions I’ve come to expect during the holiday season.

Wow - I’m running out of available time to experience the holidays as I had initially hoped to, and I’m wondering when I’ll feel the holiday magic like I have in years past, or if this year will come and go in relative obscurity. No. I won’t let it go that way because I want to enjoy my Christmas this year. Of course that means that the “relaxing” ambition of mine may be sacrificed for camaraderie and a last minute frenzy of activity…but that’s what the season is about after all.

To be continued.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I haven't done any Mxas shopping.

Money related shennanigans put paid to that, until brief, somewhat terse call to an overzealous insurance company saw my pockets lined once again.

Now I have to mount a strategic offensive on the local Mall and pray that I can find gifts to suit those deserving of their receipt.

Time to Tool Up and Cash In.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

I don't envy you Ultra - hopefully you don't have a great deal of people to buy for.

Good Luck

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Christmas Eep? Funny, I always thought they were saying "Christmas Eve"

Oh well, live and learn...

1:32 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Anonymous: I don't believe she was, solely on the basis that she knows that 'where' you work on the Internet is effectively irrelevant. Surely you mean 'at which site do you work', as the location is somewhat prosaic, hence me being able to tearstrips off you from right next to you, or on the other side of the world.

Now go away, to wherever it is you go when you aren't on the internet.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lovely - well worth the $2,000 I could make on "this" site

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home