6.19.2006

Touch of a Stranger

I took a moment this past Friday to reflect on some of the things that have changed in my life in the matter of just a few weeks. I can’t say that I feel good or bad about anything, but rather, I’m just glad to be able to feel again. For example, Friday morning while I was waiting in line for my coffee, a man not much older than myself was standing behind me with a couple of his colleagues. They were talking about the Stanley Cup playoffs and the World Cup and how they planned on sitting around drinking all weekend watching one and then the other. I was staring out the window at the rain when this man but his hand on the small of my back. Not hard – just enough that I knew he was touching me. He was rubbing his thumb back and forth really lightly, and I realized that he was touching my hair. Now this isn’t a new occurrence; I have had men and woman, young and old, reach out and touch my hair. I’ve even had a stylist refuse to cut it. But he wasn’t just touching my hair – he was caressing it. He was carrying on his conversation with his co-workers as naturally as I’m typing this sentence, and I don’t think they even caught on. But then there came a turn in the line, and when I stepped into it, I turned and looked him straight in the eyes. He swallowed hard and turned the most striking shade of red I think I’ve seen anyone turn in years. I’m not sure whether he thought I couldn’t feel it, or if he was doing it absentmindedly, but it was an interesting start to my morning. I just smiled at him, said quietly that it happened to me all the time, and proceeded to order my coffee. What I didn’t tell him is how remarkably soothing it felt, and I’m still a little surprised at how relaxed I felt for the rest of the day.

It was just one of many inspirations I needed to resume my love of writing. I had quashed it just shy of two years ago because other forces in my life were draining any creative spark out of me. It has taken nearly a full year for this glimmer of literary yearning to come back, and I made time for myself over the weekend to write once again. Some days it’s hard to find the time, as it requires down time where one can slow down and collect their thoughts, but I’ve missed it. And it will only come back to its former passion only if I make time for it. However, I digress...

More to come...

18 Comments:

Blogger The Duke said...

punny!

I think hair is comforting.

10:30 PM  
Blogger The Duke said...

tactily

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I would love to have seen the look on his face...

You must have really good hair.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Xray: You've seen my hair when you came to visit LMizzle; can you picture someone just walking up behind me and touching it?

...and one would somewhat hope you mean tacitly, or that may be grounds for a very different conversational train of thought.

Ultra: I have to admit I took a little guilty pleasure in looking at him; he quite honestly thought that I was unaware of him. He suddenly didn't know where to look or what to do with his hands.

As for the hair: well...it’s past my waist, straight, and I've never chemically altered it in any way. Actually, I commented very briefly about it on a poem you wrote last year for Write Club.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I can't remember the last time someone absent mindedly stroked my past my waist, straight, never chemically altered it in any way hair. Clearly I need to go out for coffee more frequently.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Joe: Oh for crying out loud Joseph ~ was that necessary?? Do you feel better now??

Damn it anyway - now I have to change my post to something much more vague and "Jokami-proof"

Friggin' lovely.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

It must take a lot of looking after.

My brother had long hair for a while, but he cut it off because it became too demanding.

Have you been growing it your whole life?

7:46 AM  
Blogger L said...

YESSSS!


Actually, that was me in an old man costume.

8:28 AM  
Blogger paul said...

i'd just like to say, it's fabulous hair, and it does indeed beg to get touched.

it must be something akin to pregnant women who always seem to have someone reaching out to rub their bellies - several of whom i've watched get smacked with great satisfaction.

ever caught anyone leaning over to smell your hair?

8:31 AM  
Blogger paul said...

and i apologize - for not having touched upon your writing. i like your writing. i see your wit becoming sharper as time goes on - and your sense of style taking on form.

i'm always happy to see when you've found both the time and energy to create.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

I'm glad you seemed to enjoy it. I must say that I found the story to be somewhat creepy and disturbing. (His actions, not yours.)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

Ultra: Actually, I’ve had long hair as far back as I can remember; I don’t think of it as being hard to take care of – simply normal routine. Of course, I don’t really have a comparison in that regard. But I find its well worth the effort because I really love having long hair.

LMizzle: Damn girl – you’ve nailed the Halloween costume this year! But then why did you blush?

Messiah: “beg to get touched”? Quite a compliment – thank-you. As for people smelling my hair – absolutely – happens a lot more than you may think. I’ve even had people ask me what shampoo I use simply because they have leaned over to smell it. I think it’s their attempt at justification for doing it.

Yeah – the writing has been more in pen and paper form as of late. I find the blogging tends to be more me just sitting at a keyboard and randomly hitting keys into something that may pass for wit.

Doug: Then you really don’t want to hear about some of the creeps who have tried to touch my hair before…

HDD: oh I’m sorry – I’ve had people actually burst into tears around me because they’ve cut their long hair and then miss it. Mine's actually past my tush now, so I actually have to move it aside lest I sit upon it. As for the highlighting *we’ll never tell*. ;)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

HDD: Glad to hear you didn't miss it that much - and if you think strangers touching your hair is odd, try staying calm while someone holds your hair and cries.

Yeah...not at all awkward.... :P

6:31 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Long hair is beautiful

7:06 AM  
Blogger Okami said...

So was your poem.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

:-)

Happier times....

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. clomid day 3 vs day 5

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home