5.09.2006

New Job Oddities

Greetings from the world of the somewhat, kinda, in-a-fashion, freshly employed...I think. It's currenlty a little hard to tell seeing as it's been:

Four weeks since the job was posted
Three weeks since I interviewed for it
Two weeks since they offered it to me
One week since I accepted
Two full days of being in my office....

And I still don't have a phone or a computer!

The delicious irony of this is that I'm employed with one of the largest telecommunications corporations in North America...who very reason for existence is the provision of phone and internet connection. And yet here I remain, unable to check my email, read any blogs or generate any of my own.

I knew I should have interviewed for that call centre position.

By how could this be you may ask? How could it have taken this long and you are still waiting? When I was laughing with Messiah about the absurdity of this present situation ~ then he had an epiphany. It isn’t that this is merely corporate backlog; not some typical bureaucratic drudgery resulting in my blogging delay. No no no; this transcends the commonplace corporate culture. This is unionized corporate culture. Ah, it rolls off the tongue like Ultra’s barely eaten bread roll.

So to one and all ~ please bear with me; I am currently experiencing some technical difficulties.


9 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Are you sure it's not just because they're so focused on the outward competition that they neglect their own employees? Sounds like an Ultra...erm...ultra efficient approach to me.

Or perhaps they spent all of their profits on that spiffy webcam.

Either way, it's just another example of how they've made a difference in my life - for the worse.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Okami said...

Joe: My my, wasn't that subtle?!?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Well, seeing IT at work tells me that these things take time. There's a horrible paper trail that follows requests for things like phones and computers for new employees. I'd be willing to bet that they didn't even start the paperwork until the day you started.

I'd also be willing to bet that after you get your hardware, there's going to be more paperwork for certain software that you'll need specific to your department/position. (i.e. Even when you get your computer, you won't be able to do much of your work!)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

The picture looks like it emerges from the smoke of a camp fire during the intermission between one vision quest and the next.

A spirit guide test card, if you will.

A shimmering, otherworldy voice probably whispers the legend:

"We are currently experiencing existential difficulties"

2:04 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Corporate logic essentially works in reverse of normal human thinking. I provide level 2 support for some IT issues, but one of the new database programs I had to add to my work PC trashed the connection I had to an older database. I called the database owners for help who said they didn't support the software I was using. I called the software people who said it was a database issue. Bear in mind, I work in an IT call centre for a computer company (hint: Big Blue) and I am unable to get help for my IT issues.

So, now that you understand the corporate mentality, you'll know the best career move you can make is to set the building on fire.

8:31 AM  
Blogger paul said...

i'm still upset that you're getting paid to amuse yourself.

perhaps you're being tested.

after working 10 years in IT - you get used to what you just described. doug is right - it's mostly a paper trail/policy issue.

our policy is no account until the paperwork is signed. so, often the computer and phone are in place, but the person's supervisor has dropped the ball. causing a 2-4 day delay.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Lavinia said...

I work for the country's biggest news agency. All the news here is published online for the subscribers. It is available online only.

We have an intranet between HQ, my buro and the the others dotted around the country for writing and editing the stories.

Now you would imagine we have some hot-shot IT department. Uh-uh, its two people whose solution to everything is "restart". One of whom didn't study IT.

Oh and we're on dial-up. I cannot wait to leave here in...16 days.

Good luck there, seriously.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm haha, let me take TWO guessed who you work for...

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home