School of Hard...um...nevermind
Statistics say today more Americans watch porn than they do football, said Chet Meeks, assistant sociology professor. In reaction to its overwhelming presence in people's lives, many professors and researchers have turned their attention to the pornography industry and in turn are teaching this information to their students.
One cannot help but be curious to know what the course schedule would be on this: hmm ~ do you think it would make a difference if you are a better visual learner versus an auditory one? Or even better... a hands-on, practical application learner? An I’m sure somewhere there is a movie title sitting in the back-room “restricted” section of a video store entitled “overwhelming presence”.
Mishel Filisha, women's studies and sociology graduate student, has been conducting research on the cyber-porn industry and the way capitalism shapes the way young women form sexual self-schemas. She isn't surprised by the recent increase in interest in the pornography industry by academics.
It would be a logical sequence of events that any interest in porn would lead to an increase in something... I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. I do enjoy how to make the article sound more legitimate, vernacular like "by academics" is utilized. Somehow saying "the recent increase in interest in the pornography industry by stained sweater-vest clad educators" sounds a little less credible doesn't it?
"I think it's the influence of the sexual revolution combined with the increase in sexuality visibility," Filisha said. "Shows like 'Sex and the City' that feature female characters who are open about their sexuality as well as shows like 'Will and Grace' that feature positive gay visibility [increase the public's view of sex]. Now we talk about sexuality with a lot less negative sanctions than ever before."
Well if a girl named Filisha thinks that what it is, who are we to argue? Of course, if one was to read Steve-O's recent experience, sexual visibility is not something that needs to be anymore visual than it already is. As for the sexual revolution, I think I read about that position once. It was in a book called “Something-or-other…Sutra”. Huh – can’t seem to remember…hmm, perhaps I should double check, you know, purely for research purposes of course.
Pornography is a very complicated sexual and moral issue worth discussing academically, Meeks said. The topic of porn often comes up in Meeks' classes on sexuality.
Oh c’mon…I refuse to lower my standards to comment on something so damn obvious. Except for asking who would want to take classes on sexuality from a "Meek" individual?
"When I teach about pornography, I try to approach it from a number of angles and allow students to develop their own opinions of it," Meeks said. "There are libertarian arguments - the government has no business regulating private issues like pornography. And there are feminist arguments both for and against porn, with some arguing that it promotes the objectification of women, as well as violence towards them, and others arguing that pornography, certain kinds of it, can be used to help educate women and men about sexual pleasure, their bodies, healthy sex practices, etc. One way I try to get at these issues is to have students read the debates within the feminist and lesbian-feminist community from the early 1980s."
Well, I know that I would want to approach it from a number of angles. Um..wait.. nope…that was right. Bring on the angles!
Studying pornography entails more than just viewing porn. However, that is a part of it.
I, for one, am stunned. Are you? Any of you? Really?
"There is a lot of theoretical debate that you can do without ever looking at pictures ... [but] you have to look at porn to study porn," Filisha said.
Right now men everywhere desperately want to seek higher education, and yes, the pun is very much intended. Can you see how this debate would go over with the significant other?
To show porn, or to not show porn, has been a major issue for many porn curriculum classes, with many professors opting to use written transcripts instead of viewing the actual pornographic material, according to Time magazine. However, this can open a whole other debate.
Yeah, like the pages sticking together. Ugh – sorry, even I knew not to say that. My apologies…now back to our story.
"What is the difference between describing acts in a pornographic scene and actually watching it?" Filisha said. "There are classes at NIU about illicit drug use which deal with these same illegal or taboo issues."
Um – the sound effects for one? Facial expressions perhaps? Late charges at the video store? Perhaps the ever-decreasing amount of hiding space left in your home as you try to hide your collection of…um…“academic literature”?
While many people might have a hard time seeing the underlying academic value of "Debbie Does Dallas," it is not entirely devoid of content.
Pass on this one…insert own witty comment here. Um ~ ew. How about “feel free to comment on this particular statement in any manner you feel is appropriate”?
Diana Swanson, associate professor of women's studies and English, said while she would not be interested in teaching a course that required the viewing of pornographic materials, the lessons students could learn from such courses could be very valuable.
Well, I think that just provided the argument to the masses trying to convince their significant others. Thanks, Diana Swanson for giving the makers of Viagra yet another reason to “get up” in the morning. “Good morning…good morning to you…”
"I think it would be helpful for students to learn how to critically analyze pornography for the way that visual and print pornography are used to convey messages, values and attitudes towards women, men and sexuality, in the same way that it is helpful for students to learn to analyze and deconstruct media in general." Swanson said.
Brilliant, I’m not looking forward to the day whereby I have to have a conversation regarding the “Critical Analyzing” of porn. Actually, I think I dated a guy who tried that once.
"In order to teach and study it you have to watch [and] read quite a bit of it," she said. "That is the double bind of teaching about porn; at the same time that you are working to get students to think critically about it, you are disseminating it."
Ah yes, the “double bind” of porn, volumes 1 through 25, available at the bookstore for only $149.99 CDN, or $4.00 US. No used copies please.
One could likely theorize that the students are going to be much more familiar with the course content than the instructors on this one...and does anyone else find it coincidental that if one was to reverse the initials on the professor's name: It isn't Chet Meeks, but actually Met Cheeks??
Ah…It’s good to be back...
17 Comments:
I think we had a class like this at UCLA. You had to have several letters to justify that you needed the class for your major or something. (It, obviously, wasn't available to any student who wanted to get in.)
Why do you have to look at porn to critically analyze it? What about stories? Fanfiction? Romance novels? The articles in Playboy? (I've actually read a few of them!) Do they limit their curriculum to standard guy-on-girl porn? Do they look at (by "look at" I mean "analyze") girl-on-girl porn? How about guy-on-guy porn? (Gotta be equal opportunity, right?) Do they discuss orgies? Toys? Teledildonics? How about S&M or beastiality? Just how far are they willing to go in their analysis of porn as it shapes society? Inquiring minds want to know!
(They should blatantly say that they'll be looking at male homosexual porn. That should weed out any straight guys that want to get into the class just to look at boobies.)
I hate porn
In defense of our culture, I have to say that American football is extremely boring and so watching anything with a little constant motion would be an improvement. I realized how dull it was when on an exercise bike. I looked for something to take my mind off the burn in my thighs and started watching the game on TV. After a few minutes of seeing them stand around and confer, call for timeouts, make plans, and then finally hike the ball and actually play for 1.7 seconds before repeating the whole process, I decided it was more interesting to watch the cars pass.
None of the colleges I attended would have allowed porn to enter into any class. They were even squeamish about allowing paintings of topless women into classic art classes.
Porn Sucks!!!
..
.
sorry.
That was terrible
Doug: You raise some poignant questions, no pun intended. Perhaps you should call the institution and inquire as to the full course outline. Who knows, maybe they'll throw in a lecture on naked llamas just for you!
Blondie: I like the new blog image. As for you hating porn, you're likely not alone in that feeling, and we'll probably hear comments for and against it before this post is done.
Grant: No one is going to disagree with you about the "boring" football, but I can say that you are the first man I know who exercises while watching sports. And I'm rather surprised that even classical art was taboo where you went to school...I thought many academic institutions were passed the stage of shock and awe at the mention of, as Doug puts it, "boobies".
Ultra: It was wasn't it? And yet, we all love you just the same.
Good to have you back, too.
I tried that reading thing, but it wasn't the same.
Doorbell rings. Woman opens door and see plumber
PLUMBER: I understand you need me to fix a pipe?
WOMAN: Actually, I'd like to take a look at your pipe...
CUE MUSIC: Tell me sumthin' good...
Hmmm....it appears that there were typos in the script as well. I've learned that porn writers don't proofread.
Hey, what do you know? It works!
Erm...the education process, I mean.
In all seriousness, I think that a porn class would be interesting, but only in certain settings. Women's studies, or social sciences. To a degree, maybe classical studies. (Well, for classical studies, it would probably be limited to phallic symbols in art and the sexual practices engaged during those times. Not exactly the porn industry as it exists today.)
For women's studies, such things could be examined like society's view of women as a result of pornography (I'm pretty sure you could get away with not actually showing porn in such a class.) For social sciences, you can see how the porn industry drives technology (I'm also pretty sure that you could get away with not actually showing porn in such a class.)
Hmm... Is there any situation where it would be beneficial to actually show porn? Perhaps a film class for aspiring pornography directors?
Joe: I was laughing about the very same notion when I read the article. Somehow I think that a theoretically discussion of a woman's role in pornography would likely be hindered if the class had to read a script of the performance. Somehow a play-by-play manual of who lifted what limb and who squeezed what body part probably has little impact on the notion of technology, media, consumerism and gender roles. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to watch it to understand the notion.
And who needs to proofread? Heck, many of them likely can't read at all...
Doug: In all seriousnees, I think that the concept certainly has merit as a discussion topic in an academic concept. My concern would come down to how open-minded the students of such a class would be. A course curriculum such as that requires a certain degree of flexibility in your mindset to allow for differing opinions and viewpoints. I think what may result is very much a "pro vs con" class division scenario whereby no really insight is gained whatsoever.
And that would just be a waste of energy and resources.
As for a film class for aspiring pornography directors...do they seem the type to seek higher learning to you?!?
Sure! The class for aspiring porn directors would involve a wide array of study, including what the best lighting is for accentuating a body glistening with sweat, camera techniques to make the best use of the possible positions an actress can get into, how to get shots of three different angles at one time without getting any of the film crew in the shot (this is for the multi-angle DVDs,) anatomy classes to teach the location of the G spot and other erogenous zones, and classes to teach about the most effective contraceptives (can't have your best actress getting pregnant, right? Unless you want some sort of preggers fetish porn...)
Imagine what higher learning can do to the porn industry! Soon we'll have holographic/tactile porn! (We're getting there!)
My part of the country is often referred to as the Bible Belt and is filled with Christian Fundamentalists and strict Southern Baptists. When I went to college, they blatantly pressed Christianity in several classes, especially anything involving writing. Once I was literally told to write about my "personal walk with Jesus." They didn't bother to ask if anybody there didn't worship Jesus, not even the foreign student from Iran. So I didn't find it surprising they shied away from paintings of boobies and Shakespeare's The Rape of Lucrece.
Doug: Perhaps you are in the wrong profession my dear; it sounds as though you should be the head master of an institution of higher learning. Hmm ~ perhaps we just discovered an apt job title for you?!?
Grant: Eep. Talk about the "non-option" method of learning. Wow.
so... where can you sign up for a little one on one remedial work?
and the many angles of porn, must be augmented by terrible music, and blue and yellow lighting. (or so i've heard....)
and should the instructor or the material receive the standing ovation?
does the class cost include the lazy boy recliner and the bag of orange cheetos?
sorry... spent 5 years in an art college where naked became an accepted norm, and didn't raise any issues. (and yes, i know there is a difference between nudity and porn)
seriously though.... i can understand the use of porn as a topic to show how it affects technology, the consumer, how it affects culture, importance of influence on rights / gender / identity, impact on pscych....
porn is a part of the culture. looking at the cause, and what drives the industry is important.
as to 'needing' to study the ummm, "pictorial essay" well, i don't really buy it.
maybe it's just a way for an instructor to try an legitimize the use of school equipment and bandwidth to satisfy their fetish. lord knows it's common enough.
Messiah: After reading your considerably comical comments, I only have one question for you...
What other colours do Cheetos come in?
yes, i'd like the cheetos in the plain brown wrapped package please ;)
Messiah: Ah - But you did not say the orange bag of Cheetos, you said the bag of orange Cheetos. Hence, I am curious to know what other colours Cheetos come in. Perhaps this will be like the coloured ketchup fiasco of a few years back?
Post a Comment
<< Home