Goodbye February - I loathe academia
Alright – down to eight weeks and two days for any of you who may be keeping tabs on how much longer I am trapped within the walls of this miserable hovel of post secondary learning. And by my estimations, this place just gets worse with every passing day.
Now I honestly felt that I couldn’t really be more apathetic about being here then I did at the beginning of the semester – but alas, I have proven myself wrong. Why? Well, it’s simple my dear bloggers, I had reading week. This is a strange little occurrence akin to spring break (but not directly referred to as such). It is the expectation that as diligent little students we will work long and hard to catch up with our reading, finish our projects and otherwise love life via the magic of our textbooks.
Yeah – and I’m Tinkerbelle.
(this spelling actually came up in the dictionary feature of this computer – is that normal? - And when stuck into Google image search - this came up first...Ah, Mr. Disney would be proud)
Now I honestly felt that I couldn’t really be more apathetic about being here then I did at the beginning of the semester – but alas, I have proven myself wrong. Why? Well, it’s simple my dear bloggers, I had reading week. This is a strange little occurrence akin to spring break (but not directly referred to as such). It is the expectation that as diligent little students we will work long and hard to catch up with our reading, finish our projects and otherwise love life via the magic of our textbooks.
Yeah – and I’m Tinkerbelle.
(this spelling actually came up in the dictionary feature of this computer – is that normal? - And when stuck into Google image search - this came up first...Ah, Mr. Disney would be proud)
Instead of doing anything remotely academic– many of us spend it drinking, partying, sleeping or doing squat all for about ten days. We then return to the school full of fuzzy narcotic feelings and mildly panicked about the boatload of crap that is coming due in a matter of days, of which we have done none of it. Even now, I have a midterm assignment due this afternoon and I am typing in my blog. Ah, the sweet caress of apathy; its warmth is eternal and its pain is subdued by just not giving a damn. It's emotional poetry for the soul; it really is.
But how could you not love school you ask? Simple – I’ve done two programs back-to-back, and have been here for eight years. I…don’t…care…anymore. This place has drained my bank account dry, and I have shattered remnants of a social life to show for it. Wheeee. The system works. Add to that special glow the realization that many of the people who are now being admitted into this facility likely couldn’t find their ass with a road map. How am I to have a realistic conversation with youngsters whose biggest enchantment in their present lives is that residence has a vending machine on their floor?
But to top it off for me – my first day back from a week of shoe shopping and wine drinking, I discover two things: 1. The school wants to change our program into a full Bachelors program – thereby adding ten more course, or two years, to our stay here, and 2. My group member in one of my classes is a lying dolt who can’t even plagiarize her way out of a paper bag. Number one just irks me more than anything else – number two has me giggling to myself for the past day and a half.
Now this silly twit took an original document that I had provided her with, and in turn, cut and paste her entire submission with full sentences from this original work. She didn’t even attempt to change the phrasing or the sentence structure to reflect her own writing style – no, no – this was full on word for word. The funny part about it is that I only provided her with a hard copy; she typed out each sentence exactly as it was shown in the original. One entertaining element of this was that the only creativity that was displayed by her was that she attempted to cover it up by taking individual sentences from different pages to construct a paragraph.
For example: Paragraph 1:
Line one – came from page 3
Line two – came from page 5
Line three – came from page 4
Line four – came from page 2
Now some of you may be wondering how I was able to know that these lines were taken from different pages and were not her own words…simple – I helped write the original.
Thousands of dollars in tuition hard at work – don’t you wish you were me?


11 Comments:
ah yes, educational institutions - the great equalizer and destroyer of souls. just think, a couple DFS's, and 10 extra courses and you're outa there!
I'm pretty sure the apathy thing is just their way of preparing students for the working world.
Actually - 8 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 18 minutes.
But whose counting?
And souls cannot be destroyed, merely temporarily subdued by apathy. :)
Hahah, I'm so happy you're counting down the minutes!
I'm almost glad they're thinking of making our applied degree into a real degree because then we don't have to take more fucking DFS's. SUCK ON THAT ONE, MRC!
And our degree sounds way flashier:
I have a BA in Business Administration with a major in Nonprofit Management.
Fuck. Yes.
Oh yeah, and did you like the super high heeled shoe I put in my presentation just for you?! I thought you'd enjoy!
You put those beauties in just for ME??
Aww - I loved them...if the throwing my arms wildly in class in a silent cheer wasn't obvious enough.
For anyone curious: Lmizzle had a class presentation last night involving a museum in a land dispute with a proposed “adult” shop being built beside it. When she went to describe who was planning on putting a shop on the site, she created a giant PowerPoint slide with a picture of a wonderful clear 4.5-5” stiletto flanking either side of a big “XXX” in the middle. I was so excited about it that I threw my arms up in a silent cheer. (Can you blame me?)
That was uber sweet of you to do that for me.
Except you now set the benchmark for the rest of the class to follow with your awesome presentation last night. Good Show.
That sign would also make a great t-shirt, although as a sign it grabs the attention a little more.
I functions for pretty much any protest too, as it's competely generic.
I give this sign writer 9 out of 10.
Aside from its poignant phrasing; I love the cut-out handle for ease of display.
He really didn't a cause for the sign though did he? Framing it and putting it on his wall will achieve the same effect.
I know it wasn't his intent, but I have to say that the sign put me in my happy place.
You don't want to know what I usually need to get there.
I don't know if i would want the sign up in my place of residence.
Imagine if you bought a date home.
She might like the natural hessian paintjob and the period fireplace, but I think the sign would kill the mood somewhat.
Joe: Glad it helped...and you may be surprised what I know. That investigator was worth every penny.
Ultra: Oh c'mon - its a pick-up line of unique feature. "Hey baby, why don't you help me find my happy place?"
See? It writes itself...
I'm sure i've heard The Hoff using that line..
Post a Comment
<< Home